IT'S BEEN 10 YEARS!
Each year I raise funds in memory my dear friends Cindy & Ed, who died of cancer and and to honor my mother and aunts who survived their journeys with breast cancer as well as all my friends with cancer.
Surviving TEN years is an incredible feeling and now it is time for my journey to take a new road. It has led me to join the board of the Houston Affiliate of Susan G. Komen.
Instead of the self-centered focus of my own cancer struggle, I am now aware of all who truly fight hard, need new cures and those who may not even have the resources available to them to live.
DID YOU KNOW?
In 2016, it is estimated that among U.S. women there will be
246,660 new cases of invasive breast cancer
40,450 breast cancer deaths
A little information about what we do at Komen is below.
DID YOU KNOW TRANSPORTATION CAN DETERMINE YOUR TREATMENT?
I was fortunate enough to spend a day in the Harris County Hospital District where I met a doctor who explained many in the underserved community cannot even get there for treatments, so treatments are determined based on how often they can get there. If they cannot get there, their prognosis is bleak.
These are concerns I never had because I had you - my family and friends who took me, drove me and cooked meals for me. These patients I speak about may not have a car, a person to drive them or take a day off of work to take them or even a bus route near their home and the energy to wait for the bus.
Where you live should not determine if you live!
I am happy to say part of the monies raised in the race goes to help those who have no ride a way to get to their treatments.
As a matter of fact 75% of net revenues stays in our community helping educate, diagnose and treat those about and with breast cancer. The remaining 25% goes to national to disburse to research. Additionally, Houston, in 2013, received $2.9 million from the Houston affiliate and approximately $11 million from National for research being done in our community. Now that is a good return on investment!
I was number nine in my family to get breast cancer. Someone in my family told me my great grandmother’s “stomach” was hard as a rock before she died in Russia. I am guessing “the rock” was created by a gene causing breast and ovarian cancer. Last year I learned two others on my maternal grandfather's side died of breast cancer.
My breast oncologist, Dr. Anthony Lucci, told me there is another gene out there causing this disease; we just have not found it yet.
THIS RACE IS A GOOD CAUSE!
I am passionate about raising money for Susan G. Komen. Too many people, both MEN and women, die from breast cancer and finding the cure takes money.
Everyone please know This Race is a Good Cause! No matter what day the Race was held, the monies raised from it will save lives. In my Jewish community we say, "to save one life is to save the world."
Please join me this year to BE MORE THAN PINK as we work to "save the world" and eradicate this disease.
Be a BREAST CANCER WARRIOR AND together will we win the race for a cure against breast cancer!
See my video at:
See an uplifting video about MORE THAN PINK
If you would rather mail a check please use this address, but BE SURE TO SAY IT IS FOR MY JANICE JUCKER'S RACE FUND (I'M VERY COMPETITIVE)
Susan G. Komen for the Cure - Houston
PO Box 4080
Houston, Texas 77210